Thursday, April 16th, 2020 is National Advance Care Planning Day in Canada!
LET’S GET EVERYONE TALKING ACP!!!
Now More Than Ever, We Need To Talk ACP!
Health can change without warning. That is more evident than ever in the COVID-19 reality.
We all need to help patients, their families and our health care providers have conversations that will lead to the care people need and want, reflecting their values and wishes.
- Hospice Palliative Care Ontario has everything you need to get people talking
- Resources and support to lead our families, friends, colleagues, clients and communities to take the time now to have Advance Care Planning
- Please share this information broadly with your colleagues, stakeholders, and
FOR INDIVIDUALS AND FAMILIES: https://www.speakupontario.ca/resources-for-individuals-and-families/ In Ontario, advance care planning (ACP) is:
- Confirming your substitute decision maker(s) (SDMs)
- Communicating your wishes, values and beliefs to help your SDM(s) make future health and personal care decisions if you become mentally incapable of doing so for
FOR HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS: https://www.speakupontario.ca/resources-for-health-care-providers/ HPCO’s resources offer guidance and practical ideas for planning and delivering these critical conversations during the COVID-19 pandemic:
- Advance Care Planning (ACP) – Goals of Care (GoC) – Person-Centred Decision Making (PCDM)
EVERYONE GET SOCIAL – FROM A SAFE SOCIAL DISTANCE!!!
- Follow HPCO on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and SHARE OFTEN!
- Our Social Media Messages are available in both French and English and can be found at: https://www.speakupontario.ca/acp-day-2020-resources/
- Our social media hashtags include:
MAKE AN IMPACT
- Individuals and Families:
We are challenging everyone across Ontario to confirm your Substitute Decision Maker (SDM) and share three values on ACP Day. Once done, use the following hashtag #SpeakUpOntario to share the message “I just shared my top 3 values with my SDM!” on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
- Health Care Providers: We are encouraging as many health care workers as possible to go tospeakupontario.ca and use the tools to support you in having meaningful conversations with your patients.
ACP DAY EVENTS
Hospice Palliative Care Ontario is partnering with the Ontario Medical Association to co-host a webinar on Having Important Conversations on April 16th from 7 – 8:30PM. This session is intended for Physicians and Health Care Professionals. It will be facilitated by Dr. Leah Steinberg, Dr. Nadia Incardona and Dr. Jeff Myers. They will cover the fundamentals of Health Care Consent Advance Care Planning and Goals of Care, and how to have these important conversations with their patients. To register please go to: https://hpco.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qSpxMHcBT7OTxuv3m7aiTw
We are also supporting the National ACP Campaign – A Life Well Lived is a Life Well Planned. https://www.advancecareplanning.ca/
We encourage you to share our ACP Day Resources with your colleagues, and other stakeholders as appropriate. We have available posters, postcards, wallet cards, bookmarks, and videos. These resources can be found at: https://www.speakupontario.ca/acp-day-2020-resources/
HPCO will be sharing the following information with our membership and Communities of Practice early next week:
- A news release and an op-ed on ACP Day
- ACP messaging to use in interviews, along with media protocol and media messaging notes to share with others who we identify could be doing media interview
SHARE YOUR ACP DAY STORIES WITH HPCO
Each year HPCO works with the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA) to catalogue the ACP Day activities across Ontario and the Country. We would love to hear about your events and coverage. We invite you to share your successes with us here: https://www.research.net/r/ACPDay2020